Saturday, August 3, 2013

Ow

About a week ago, my knee was really weird—it was fine when stationary, but move it and I got this sharp pain to the right of my kneecap. Not in the, wow-I-just-got-a-great-workout way but in the ow-ow-you-should-not-test-me way. So, I rested. Next day, it felt fine, so I did a slow, easy jog/walk for exercise. I felt fine during, and I haven't had problems since.

Well.

Actually.

I didn't have problems until I put my left foot in during the first set of lunges today. Hands on hips, left leg goes forward, shift body weight forward, bend knee, and ow. Not this-is-irreparably-torn ow, thankfully. I was more the kind of ow you say when you aren't warmed up enough and haven't been stretching enough for the type and quantity of exercise you want to do.

Well, that's embarrassing. I am one of those people who will look at you aghast and mystified if you tell me you don't warm up before you work out or cool down and stretch after. It goes against everything that I've learned, and I just won't stand it. Only, I've been slacking on those essential parts of my workout, especially the nice, long stretch I used to do after a run.

I finished the workout, yes, but I cut the lunges in half, and I took a good five minutes to stretch all of my muscles when I was finished, not just the ones that I'd used.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm driving down to Springfield, and, though I may not post the workout that day, I will do it as much as my knee will allow. And if it won't allow, I'll switch exercises so I don't strain my knee. If it persists, I'll talk to my doctor.

So, the workout today. Obviously, it's modified.

Here's how it went down:

  • :15 Plank
  • 50 Jumping Jacks
  • 10 Lunges
  • 10 Squats
  • 10 Plie Squats
  • 10 Side Lunges
  • 20 Glute Kickbacks
  • 15 Bridges
  • 10 Side Leg Circles
  • 20 Glute Kickbacks
  • 15 Squats
  • 10 Plie Squats
  • 20 Jumping Jacks

Then, I stretched for about five minutes, which was very relaxing and felt awesome.

The last set of jumping jacks was difficult, too, and I had to work to keep my knees soft as I landed so that I wouldn't feel any twinges. No running today, though I might start adding a short jog before these workouts, too, just to make sure I'm warmed up properly.

Questions? Comments? Want to let me know that I'm an idiot for even thinking about continuing the workout on a possibly wounded knee? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment