Friday, March 29, 2013

Adventures in Product Testing: Karuna Hydrating Treatment Mask

I began receiving my Birchbox about eight months ago, and I realized that I have quite a few products that I have yet to try. Skin products seem most likely to have fallen to the wayside, though I also have a black eyeshadow crayon that mocks me from my makeup collection. So, I've decided to mosey on through some of these products and review them because I like to look up reviews for products I haven't tried but am thinking of purchasing.

Karuna Hydrating Treatment Mask
Full Size: $28/4 masks

This Natto-based treatment promises to help "retain skin's natural moisture levels as it exfoliates to boost the look and feel of dehydrated skin". The mask contains no parabens (hooray!), various flower extracts, aloe, and plenty of Xanthan Gum.

The mask came folded and, with only a little difficulty, came undone to reveal holes for my eyes, nose, and lips. My first thought, as the mask made contact with my skin: "AH! Cold!" (Truth: My apartment stays at a brisk 65, which makes room temperature a little cooler than skin temperature.)

As directed, I adjusted the mask and removed the paper backing to reveal the Phantom of the Opera's child. I adjusted again, and I found the task a little easier without the paper backing. Then, the package instructed, relax for 10–20 minutes.

So I had a dance party. With myself. In a face mask.

Winning.

I waited only 15 minutes before I removed the mask because I had to sneeze. The remaining treatment residue did not need rinsing, but it felt sticky (very much like using too much lotion), so I wiped my face with a dry towel.

The package instructed to use the remaining product, left at the bottom of the packet on my face and neck. I did, again with the sticky results. With a little patience, though, this went away.

Now, the skin on both my hands and face feels very soft, which I think the Karuna people had in mind when creating this product. My hands usually get very dry in the winter, but they feel well hydrated. Another win.

Overall, I will definitely keep this face mask in mind when I search for products to hydrate and exfoliate my skin, though I cannot promise I will ever purchase the Karuna mask. Though much cheaper than a facial in a salon, $7 per mask is a little high for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment