Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lean, Mean Smoothie Machine

Just in case you were wondering, I make really good smoothies. Fruity, cold, healthy smoothies that are far better for you that most of what you will get when you go to a restaurant. Seriously—a smoothie at certain places can be up to 800 calories with over 100 grams of sugar, some of which is added. Ridiculous.

Lately, I've been a convert to the "green smoothie" movement. A handful of spinach or kale in each smoothie adds a ton of nutritional value and little or no taste. Plus, every smoothie ends up my favorite color!

My suggestions on making any smoothies are this:

  • Always use fruit you love. If you don't enjoy your base fruits, you won't enjoy your smoothie.
  • Add water to help it blend. Juices or yogurt may taste really good but almost always add unnecessary sugar and calories. I will say that a little juice is all right, especially if you have a fresh orange or lemon that really wants to be squeezed.
  • Get a good blender. I really like super smooth smoothies, and I am very lucky to work somewhere that has a Blendtec. The one I have at home does not do my tasties justice.
  • Bananas. An inexpensive way to add texture and taste to your smoothies. YUMMY.
  • If you like it, don't listen to anyone else! I can give you all the suggestions I want..but it's your smoothie.
Now, for a recipe suggestion of sorts:

Green Pineapple Smoothie
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 c pineapple
  • 1 mango, massacred
  • 1 c spinach
  • ice and water
BLEND
DRINK
ENJOY

74.5/730

No comments:

Post a Comment